Major incident declared in Birmingham as ‘17,000 tonnes’ of rubbish piles up | Politics News

A major incident has been declared in Birmingham over an ongoing bin strike, which has left around 17,000 tonnes of waste on the streets of the city.

Birmingham City Council said the “regrettable” step was taken in response to public health concerns, with picket lines blocking depots and preventing waste vehicles from collecting rubbish.

Members of Unite have been on all-out strike since 11 March in a row over pay, which the union claims will leave some members of staff £8,000 worse off. A series of walkouts have also impacted refuse collections since January.

Politics latest: Follow live updates

By declaring a major incident, the council will be able to increase the availability of street cleansing and fly-tip removal with an additional 35 vehicles and crews around the city.

This action will also allow the council to explore what further support is available from neighbouring authorities and the government to assist in the management of the situation.

Council leader John Cotton said it was a “regrettable” step, but the situation was “causing harm and distress” to local people.

More resources available after council’s decision, but conditions worsening

‘We’re worried about our kids,” says one man in Bordesley Green.

It’s a sentiment shared by many across Birmingham as the council declares a major incident due to concerns over public health.

I’m standing on Fifth Avenue in the southeast of the city, which couldn’t be further from its glamorous namesake in New York.

Piles of black bin liners, full to bursting, cover the pavements, forcing people to walk in the road. The recent warm weather makes the stench pervasive, as food waste openly rots outside homes.

17,000 tonnes of rubbish litters Birmingham, and the city council says declaring a major incident will initially increase the availability of street cleaning and fly-tip removal, with an additional 35 vehicles and crews deployed around the city.

Many residents are taking matters into their own hands and driving their rubbish to nearby dumps, but for those without a car, all they can do is hope for some resolution between the council and Unite.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



2:51

Birmingham suffers bin crisis

“I respect the right to strike and protest, however actions on the picket line must be lawful and sadly the behaviour of some now means we are seeing a significant impact on residents and the city’s environment,” he said.

Jim McMahon, the minister for local government, said the all-out strike by Unite members is causing “misery and disruption” to residents, as well as posing a “public health risk to the city’s most vulnerable and deprived”.

He said the government “stands ready” to respond to any request for extra resources, but insisted that any deal to end the bin strike must “maintain value for money”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



5:58

‘They can’t hold the city to ransom’

Mr McMahon told the Commons: “This is causing a public health risk to the city’s most vulnerable and deprived residents. As a result, I am aware that Birmingham has today declared a major incident to give them the mechanisms to better manage the impact on local residents.

“I support that decision, and I will back local leaders.”

The minister added that the government will “not hesitate to give support in any way that Birmingham leaders need”.

He said: “If local leaders on the ground in Birmingham feel that tackling these issues goes beyond the resources available to them and they request national support, then of course we stand ready to respond to any such request.”

Members of the Unite union met with Birmingham City Council last Thursday, but talks have so far failed.

Unite says the dispute will not end unless the “hugely damaging” cuts to bin collectors’ wages are reversed.

But Birmingham City Council says the aim of the restructuring is to create a “modern, sustainable and consistently reliable waste collection service”.

Source link

The post Major incident declared in Birmingham as ‘17,000 tonnes’ of rubbish piles up | Politics News appeared first on World Online.

Scroll to Top